from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman who is a leader in national or international affairs: "In foreign policy, [she] relishes her role as a senior stateswoman of the West” ( Boston Globe).
- n. A woman political leader regarded as a disinterested promoter of the public good.
- n. A woman who is a respected leader in a given field.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A woman who is a leader in national or international affairs.
- n. A female political leader who promotes the public good or who is recognized for probity, leadership, or the qualities necessary to govern a state.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman concerned in public affairs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who is versed in or meddles with public affairs, or who gives evidence of political shrewdness or ability.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman statesman
state's + woman (Wiktionary)