Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who makes, forms, or shapes.
- n. In meta-work, a combined lathe and planer, which can be used, with attachments, for doing a great variety of work.
- n. A form of stamping-machine or stamping-press for sheetmetal.
- n. In wood-working, a paneling- or molding-machine for cutting moldings of irregular forms.
- n. A shaper in which the piece operated upon can be rotated and hence a (nearly) cylindrical surface can be finished.
- n. One who shapes.
- n. A machine tool in which a single-point cutting tool mounted on a reciprocating ram is traversed across the workpiece linearly. Shapers can generate various shapes, but were most especially employed in generating flat surfaces and keyways. The shaper is nowadays obsolescent, most of its applications being served by milling machines.
- n. surfing A person who designs and builds surfboards.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who shapes.
- n. That which shapes; a machine for giving a particular form or outline to an object.
- n. (Metal Working) A kind of planer in which the tool, instead of the work, receives a reciprocating motion, usually from a crank.
- n. (Wood Working) A machine with a vertically revolving cutter projecting above a flat table top, for cutting irregular outlines, moldings, etc.
- n. a machine tool for shaping metal or wood
- n. a person who makes things
- to shape + -er (Wiktionary)
“I was reminded that in the evangelical community, God is routinely described as a shaper of everyday events.”
“Set inside the Void, this story follows the life of Edeard, a young 'shaper' whose life is changed forever by a cataclysmic event and he finds his way to the great city of Makkatheren where he enters the service of the constables.”
“shaper," whose duty it was to shape a glorious deed into more glorious verse.”
“Scattered across the asphalt like murderer's footprints, puddles of water turn bloody with sunset"), it vanishes when Stewart settles in to show us freelance detective Diane Fletcher using her ability as a "shaper" (someone who can read and experience the emotions of others) to help policeman Rolly French investigate the death of Jonathan Mask.”
“Because of its longevity as a shaper of the partisan landscape, changes in abortion attitudes are especially portentous.”
“He is an opinion shaper, even if he shapes it by making people disagree with him.”
“William Paley, CBS, and the story of how TV became both a shaper and creator of politics.”
“This is the original anonymous "girdle" commenter here: one of the ladies brought up the point that she physically felt better today, more held in and such, when she wore her shaper.”
“I wore my shaper today too, and I feel so beautiful, despite the fact that my skirt and blouse are quite old.”
“Imagine your child is a sculpture and your entire family -- including your parents -- is the shaper of that sculpture.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shaper’.
A very wide category. There are possibly tens of thousands tool words in each of the world's languages.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words related to steam engines and other machines.
Looking for tweets for shaper.