from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative spelling of lachrymal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- See lachrymatory, n., and lachrymal, a.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy and physiology, of or pertaining to tears; secreting tears; conveying tears: as, the lacrymal apparatus.
- n. One of the bones of the face in vertebrates; in man, the os unguis, or nail-bone, so called from its resemblance in size and shape to a human finger-nail.
- n. Same as lacrymatory.
- n. plural Tears; a fit of weeping.
- n. In ichthyology:
- n. A bone lateral to the ethmoid in fishes, the prefrontal: not homologous with the bone called ‘lacrvmal’ by Parker.
- n. A bone in front of the eye in fishes, part of the suborbital ring; the preorbital: not homologous with the bone called ‘lacrymal’ by Geoffroy.
Sorry, no etymologies found.