from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A parotid gland.
- adj. Situated near the ear: the parotid region of the face.
- adj. Of or relating to a parotid gland.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to the parotid gland.
- n. The parotid gland.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Situated near the ear; -- applied especially to the salivary gland near the ear.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or in the region of, the parotid gland.
- n. The parotid gland.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The parotid gland, a lobulated racemose gland situated near the ear, secreting saliva, which is poured into the mouth by a special duct.
- n. In many types of ancient Greek helmets, an ear-guard or side-guard, a piece on either side of the helmet arranged to shield the ear and the side of the head by stopping a downward blow.
- Situated beside the ear; parotic or parotoid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or located near the parotid gland
Sorry, no etymologies found.
* Cancer of a salivary gland near the ear called the parotid
The mumps, inflammation of the "parotid" gland, is commonly ushered in with a slight feverish attack.
It is contagious, and has been known to run through a whole family or school; but it is not dangerous, unless, which is rarely the case, it leaves the "parotid" gland, and migrates either to the head, to the breast, or to the testicle.
Dr. Kevin Brumund, a neck and throat specialist at the UCSD Moores Cancer Center, told the newspaper there have been no studies linking parotid cancer and chewing tobacco, which is now banned in minor league baseball.
The parotid cancer was diagnosed after the former Padres star had a third round of surgery since 1997 to remove a tumor on the parotid gland.
Botulinum toxin type A can be injected into the submandibular gland (below the floor of the mouth) and the parotid gland (behind the jaw).
Alpha-amylase is secreted into saliva by the parotid gland, the largest of the salivary glands.
Scientists are also planning to examine whether cell phone use increases the risk of tumors in the ear's acoustic nerve and the parotid gland, where saliva is produced.
The mumps virus usually causes swelling in the salivary or parotid glands, just below the ear, lasting for seven days.
Can you please provide the citation for your assertion that his lymph nodes/parotid gland were negative?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.