from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An effort or endeavor to realize an aim.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a mental or physical effort to attain a specific goal; a striving
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A striving; an effort; a conatus.
- n. The periodic procreative desire manifested in the spring by birds, etc.
- n. The contraction of the diaphragm and abdominal muscles to evacuate feces or urine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Effort; endeavor; conatus.
- n. A genus of small hawks of the family Falconidæ, containing such as are called in Great Britain sparrow-hawks. See Accipiter.
- n. The generative impulse occurring periodically, as with many creatures in the spring.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an effortful attempt to attain a goal
Latin nīsus, from past participle of nītī, to strive.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)