American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A word considered only as a sequence of sounds or letters rather than as a unit of meaning.
- adj. Capable of being voiced or spoken.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A word; a term; a name; specifically, a word considered without regard to meaning, but merely as composed of certain sounds or letters.
- n. linguistics A word or utterance, especially with reference to its form rather than its meaning.
- n. music A syllable or sound without specific meaning, used together with or in place of actual words in a song.
- adj. linguistics Able to be uttered.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A word; a term; a name; specifically, a word considered as composed of certain sounds or letters, without regard to its meaning.
- n. a word that is spoken aloud
- From French vocable or Latin vocabulum, from Latin vocō ("I call"). (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French, from Latin vocābulum, name, from vocāre, to call. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Adonis _Adonis_ apropos _apropo_ bowsprit _bowsprit_ brooch _broch_ not _broosh_ compromise _compromize_ jowl _jol_, not like _owl_ molecular _molecular_ ogle _ogle_ trow _tro_ vocable _vocable_ zoology _zoology_, not _zoo_”
“Further, an approach to symbolic description of musical sounds informed by human perception termed vocable synthesis is provided by McLean and Wiggins 2009.”
“2007 – Got interested in timbre and the voice, came up with the idea vocable synthesis.”
“Categories events haskell livecoding misc music openframeworks papers perl rant supercollider visualisation vocable voronoi wovensound”
“The changing nuances, the the fine and shaded colorations of the feminine vowels are married to the consonants which outline the masculine structure of the vocable.”
“Un groupe du Parti libéral du Québec voulait proposer une «proclamation de la citoyenneté québécoise» au prochain congrès libéral mais a dû renoncer à ce vocable après le dépôt du projet de loi 195 du Parti québécois.”
“It is a simple but I think effective vocable synthesiser that runs in a web browser.”
“This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 12th, 2008 at 10:29 am and is filed under events, livecoding, music, perl, vocable.”
“Ideas breed vocables; but seldom, except among rhymesters, does a vocable give birth to a popular idea: and in Arabic “Sibr,” as well as”
“To a Tahirian, a vocable by itself was a signal - an alarm cry, for example - but not a word.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vocable’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Being a list of words which have "specifically" in their definitions.
words on words. yyep.
a couple words
cool mint antiseptic
Tales of the Dying Earth is a 2002 anthology volume featuring four novels by Jack Vance: The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvellous.
Looking for tweets for vocable.