American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A word having a meaning opposite to that of another word: The word wet is an antonym of the word dry.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A counterterm; an opposite; an antithetical word: the opposite of synonym: as, life is the antonym of death.
- n. semantics A word which has the opposite meaning of another, although not necessarily in all its senses.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. rare A word of opposite meaning; a counterterm; -- used as a correlative of
- n. a word that expresses a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are antonyms of each other
- circa 1870: ant- + -onym (Wiktionary)
- ant(i)- + -onym. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The antonym is a word that makes us all feel better: safety.”
“As a general matter, when some quality is either present or not e.g., legal or illegal, the antonym is the same as the opposite.”
“We can find 692 antonym pairs in English where both words have the same length:”
“The definitions for “moral” and “responsibility” indicated REPUBLICAN as an antonym.”
““Cis” means “on the same side,” and is an antonym to “trans,” which means “across.””
“Kids Prefer Cheese: What is the antonym of "analysis"?”
“Complete disjunction between the blown-up rhetoric you use to describe how awful the ITEP analysis is ( "shills," "antonym of analysis") and the virtually content-free criticism you back these insults up with.”
“Preceding our revolution, for example, republicanism was held up as the antonym to divine right monarchy; enlightenment political philosophy denied that sovereignty was handed down by God to the Romanovs or the Bourbons, but resided in a people — who could be thought of as a nation.”
“Unless you are completely conflating all the possible definitions of the terms you use, in which case you are un-intellectual (antonym of “intellectual” = “idiot”), or intentionally dishonest.”
“The "new reformers" have appropriated the term "innovation" as a descriptor for policy proposals and practices they advocate, and as an antonym for almost anything else.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘antonym’.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
This used to be my nym list, but there are so many words about words, I think it's time to expand and open.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Non-English is okay, but please don't add misspellings.
Source and definitions: http://phrontistery.info/name.html
Words that describe other words
denoting or relating to names
Looking for tweets for antonym.