from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Extreme meticulousness or overrefinement, as in language, taste, or style.
- n. An instance of extreme meticulousness or overrefinement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state or condition of overemphasizing detail, especially of pronunciation when speaking.
- n. Something precious.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Preciousness; something precious.
- n. Fastidious refinement, esp. in language; specif., the affected purism and sententiousness characteristic of the French précieuses of the 17th century.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Costliness; value; great worth; preciousness.
- n. Anything of great price or value.
- n. The quality of being overnice; fastidiousness; excessive refinement.
- n. The character of being precious in sense 6 or 7. See precious, 6.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being fastidious or excessively refined
Middle English preciousite, preciousness, from Old French preciosite, from Latin pretiōsitās, from pretiōsus, precious, from pretium, price; see precious.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)