from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Professional status, methods, character, or standards.
- n. The use of professional performers, as in athletics or in the arts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The status, methods, character or standards expected of a professional or of a professional organization, such as reliability, discretion, evenhandedness, and fair play.
- n. The use of professionals rather than amateurs in any sport etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The following of a profession, sport, etc., as an occupation; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The characteristics, ideas, or methods of professional persons; that which savors of a professional, especially when so marked as to become objectionable or offensive: specifically used of athletic sports, etc., opposed to the methods or work of amateurs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the expertness characteristic of a professional person
Sorry, no etymologies found.