from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the quality of being portable
- n. the ability of a program (or software system) to execute properly on multiple hardware platforms
- n. the ability of an employee to move between different social security schemes without losing their contributions
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being portable; fitness to be carried.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being portable; fitness to be carried; portableness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being light enough to be carried
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Such data portability is an area where Facebook has faced much criticism, but privacy advocates at the Center for Democracy and Technology say this feature is a "very bold step" toward giving users more control over their own information.
Philip agreed insofar as we will see data follow us around via web widgets etc, so if things go pear-shaped and you want to take all your data out, data portability is the answer.
You give up a little bit in portability for sheer utility.
A peach tree, inherited from their mother and planted in a wheelbarrow for portability, is a constant reminder of Lilians absence.
Stickiness as a business practice was a byproduct of the document era of the web; on the people-centric web, portability is critical.
I prefer digital documents when portability is an issue.
Whether that means my MacBook will get the Ol 'Yeller treatment has yet to be seen, but when it comes to short term portability and writing a few pages here and there, I'm sold.
The Mini 9 seems like a great addition to the Dell line where portability is the priority, perhaps as a complement to a desktop. —
The first step toward portability is to invest in a smart phone, and if at all possible, a laptop.
The best way to achieve data portability is to just do it.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.