from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To catch fire; burst into flame: The fire started when a pile of oily rags spontaneously combusted.
- intransitive v. To undergo combustion; burn: As the fuels were combusting they gave off noxious vapors.
- intransitive v. To become suddenly angry or agitated: The defendant combusted when he heard the verdict.
- transitive v. To cause to burn; ignite.
- transitive v. To cause to become angry or violent: riots that are combusting whole provinces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To burn; to catch fire.
- adj. Burnt.
- adj. In close conjunction with the sun (so that its astrological influence is "burnt up"), sometimes specified to be within 8 degrees 30'.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Burnt; consumed.
- adj. So near the sun as to be obscured or eclipsed by his light, as the moon or planets when not more than eight degrees and a half from the sun.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hence In astronomy, so near the sun as to be obscured by it, or not more than 8½° from it.
- To inflame with excitement and agitation.
- To burn up or consume with fire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. start to burn or burst into flames
- v. cause to burn or combust
- v. get very angry and fly into a rage
- v. cause to become violent or angry
- v. undergo combustion
The heat necessary to combust is created by the high compression ratio.
Now, Eugene, wouldn’t it be much more fun for us to sit back and wait for it to spontaneously combust from the flammable gases?
If a pile rises to 160 degrees or more it could spontaneously combust, which is why the zoo is acquiring a thermometer to measure internal temperature of its manure piles.
It is thus BETTER FOR YET ANOTHER KIND OF REASON AS WELL to NOT directly "combust" it --- but, rather, to use it CLOSED-CYCLE to energize fuel cells that then drive electric motors.
It is thus generally much BETTER to NOT directly "combust" the hydrogen --- but, rather, to use it CLOSED-CYCLE to energize FUEL CELLS which will then DRIVE ELECTRIC MOTORS.
One can only hope that they just combust in a big puff of hot air at some point and leave the rest of us alone! victim of republican greed
Not only was Isabella spectacularly pretty, with a body that a man would happily die for and a touch that had made him feel as if he was going to spontaneously combust, she was also a theater person.
I am of a serious mind to run against Congressman Weiner to highlight the broken state of American manhood and how we must finally address it rather than watch more decent men combust.
Woo hooo! tap the fire hydrant and hose me down. otherwise i might self combust! it's too much excitement to bear.
"Lick ya, lick ya down" like he's about to combust.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.