from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The acidic juice of crab apples or other sour fruit, such as unripe grapes.
- n. Sourness, as of disposition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very acidic juice made by pressing unripe grapes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The sour juice of crab apples, of green or unripe grapes, apples, etc.; also, an acid liquor made from such juice.
- n. Tartness; sourness, as of disposition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An acid liquor expressed from crab-apples, unripe grapes, etc., used for culinary and other purposes.
- n. Sourness or acidity of temper, manner, or expression; tartness.
- To make sour or acid.
Middle English verjus, from Old French vertjus : verd, unripe; see verdant + jus, juice; see juice.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French verjus, from Middle French vertjus ("green juice"). (Wiktionary)