American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Resembling, derived from, or containing sand.
- adj. Growing in sandy areas.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sandy; abounding in sand; having the properties of sand.
- Figuratively, dry; arid.
- Composed largely of sand or sandy particles. In geology, applied to rocks: as, arenaceous limestone. A rock is said to be arenaceous when it contains a considerable amount of quartz-sand, or is largely made up of sandy particles.
- In zoology, specifically applied to those Foraminifera whose membranous case becomes hardened by the attachment of foreign substances, as particles of sand or shelly matters.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Sandy or consisting largely of sand; of the nature of sand; easily disintegrating into sand; friable.
- adj. resembling or containing or abounding in sand; or growing in sandy areas
- From Latin arenaceus, from arena ("sand") (Wiktionary)
- From Latin harēnāceus, arēnāceus : harēna, arēna, sand; see arena + -āceus, -aceous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It contains calcareous matter; the sandy soil grades down to a thick arenaceous "caliche" which is a layer of sand cemented into a limestone by interstitial deposition of calcium carbonate.”
“So again with land animals: the differences in their stations are those of different soils and neighbourhoods; some being best adapted to a calcareous, and others to an arenaceous soil.”
“We got up at six to get the bird into the oven, so it can be totally desiccated, friable, granular, sabulous, arenaceous, the way turkey always is.”
“(Milam.) and arenaceous benthics (Ar. benth) dominate KC23 profile.”
“The sole, a broad expanse of loose red arenaceous matter, the washings of the plateau, is fearfully burrowed and honeycombed; it is also subject, like its sister the Sadr, to the frequent assault of”
“North of it a palm grove, lining the mouth of a broad Wady which snakes high up among the sands and stones, denotes the Hajj-station, El – Hakl (Hagul), backed by tall arenaceous buttresses.”
“Here the surface is much cut and broken by sandy Wadys, dotted with a few straggling plants: to our right was a Goz or inclined arenaceous bank, where the south wind had sifted the sand from the gravel, disposing the former in the hollows, and the latter on the crest of the ripples.”
“They are outliers of the main line, yon flood of verdure, climbing up and streaming down from the high, dry, and barren banks of arenaceous drift, heaped up and filmed over by the wind, and, lastly, surging through its narrow “Gate,” with the clifflets of conglomerate forming the old coast.”
“The _New Red Sandstone_ forms the base of the great central plains of England, and is surmounted by the oliferous marls and red arenaceous beds which pass under the succession of great oolitic terraces that stretch across England from the coasts of Dorsetshire to the north-eastern coast of Yorkshire.”
“I found myself when I entered in a gloomy chamber hewn out of a brown arenaceous clay.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arenaceous’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
A nitty-gritty list for words containing sand-, -sand-, or -sand; and apropos terms and phrases. Your contributions are welcome.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
My Favorite Words
an Eckhartian exercise of grinding
A place for me to keep all these weird words, whether I guessed them correctly or not.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
words that I like
These are words that I know the definition of, and when I see them in a sentence in a book, I know what they mean. But usually they never come to mind if I ever have the opportunity to use one in ...
Looking for tweets for arenaceous.