American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who practices yoga.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Hindu ascetic and mendicant who practises the yoga system, and combines meditation with austerity, claiming thus to acquire a miraculous power over elementary matter. See yoga. Also yogee and jogi.
- adj. Attributive form of yogi
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A follower of the yoga philosophy; an ascetic.
- n. United States baseball player (born 1925)
- n. one who practices yoga and has achieved a high level of spiritual insight
- From Hindi, from Sanskrit योगिन् (yogin), from the verbal root yuj (class 7 present युनक्ति (yunakti, "to connect")), from Proto-Indo-European *yugóm. (Wiktionary)
- Hindi yogī, from Sanskrit, from yogaḥ, union; see yoga. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In the Sing & Do, replace the word yogi with your baby’s name and repeat.”
“The long-haired and bearded yogi is under 24-hour observation by a team of 30 specialists during three weeks of tests at a hospital in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad.”
“Part of being a yogi is deciding which part of you gets to tell your story.”
“A yogi is someone who realizes that all the actions of both the bhogi and rogi are ultimately fruitless, that satisfying cravings and indulgences is only short-lived.”
“A yogi is a person who realizes that all the actions of the rogi and bogi are ultimately fruitless, that all the cravings and indulgences are not really satisfying no matter how hard you try.”
“You see, Sri Aurobindo is often exclusively referred to as a yogi or a mystic or a poet.”
“She had the requisite hairy armpits Shantih is not a hairy armpit gal, but is still very bendy and a super yogi, which is why we worship her, and was super thin and cut.”
“Yet all but his followers scoffed, calling the yogi's feat, for which he had prepared all his life, a hoax.”
“Hunsa unhesitatingly declared that the yogi was a messenger from the Dewan, and if they did not take advantage of it they would perhaps have to fare forth on lean stomachs and in disgrace -- perhaps would be beaten by the Mahratta sepoys -- undoubtedly they would.”
“A yogi is a spiritual novice who is not yet free of desires.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘yogi’.
Words, words, words!
short, sweet, epic, catchy, sassy, sexy & sizzling.
( personal list, randomness )
finally, a place to list them and stop them from echoing in my brain
Holy men (and women).
Looking for tweets for yogi.