Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who asks questions; a questioner; an inquirer; an investigator; a doubter.
- n. In old universities, the respondent in the determinations; hence still at Cambridge, a student of three years, who is consequently qualified to be a candidate for a degree.
- n. A professed questioner; specifically applied to Duns Scotus and other schoolmen.
- n. obsolete A person preparing for, or taking, their final exam at university.
- n. obsolete An inquisitive person, a questioner.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A questioner; an inquirer.
- n. (Eng. Univ.) A candidate for honors or degrees who is near the time of his examination.
- question + -ist (Wiktionary)
“The third stage was reached when the "questionist," as he was now, stood for his bachelor's degree.”
“Let no friuolous questionist therefore further enquire why he marched so many dayes to Lisbon, and taried there so small a while.”
“During the period when the funds were employed in conformity with the testator's design, the authorities, in their wisdom, ignored limitations of age, birth, and neighbourhood, and thus any member of the University, sophist or questionist, bachelor or master, was entitled to a share of the benefit.”
“This, the initial, stage of University existence was terminated by an examination, then and still called Responsions, which might not be taken in less than a year, after which the student became known as a "questionist.”
“It would be all one to me, who were the questionist and who the answerer, supposing the question be aptly put so as to draw forth the explication most fully.”
“And it is observed, -- so far as enquiry is able to look back at this distance of time, -- that at his being a school-boy he was an early questionist, quietly inquisitive "why this was, and that was not, to be remembered? why this was granted, and that denied?”
“Let no friuolous questionist therefore further enquire why he marched so many dayes to”
“And it is observed, ” so far as enquiry is able to look back at this distance of time, ” that at his being a school-boy he was an early questionist, quietly inquisitive “why this was, and that was not, to be remembered? why this was granted, and that denied?””
‘questionist’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for questionist.