from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of baffle.
- adj. puzzling and frustrating
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Frustrating; discomfiting; disconcerting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Frustrating; disconcerting; confusing; perplexing: as, a baffling wind, that is, one which frequently shifts from one point to another.
- n. An arrangement or system of partitions, plates, or rings whereby a tendency to motion in an undesired direction is prevented. See baffle-plate, baffle-ring.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. making great mental demands; hard to comprehend or solve or believe
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"They couldn't communicate with them," Foels said of officers 'troubled attempts to ascertain the group's motive, which he termed baffling, bizarre and uncommon.
And one of the most baffling is the Mpemba Effect.
She delights, there, in baffling us, and demands blind following.
What I always find baffling is that any industry would want to limit what is essentially cheap or next to free publicity and advertising for their product.
But it is just plain baffling to watch him take the same regal attitude toward a Congress in which his party holds solid majorities in both houses.
Kapleau defines it as a formulation, in baffling language, pointing to ultimate truth.
And what's more baffling is that they counted us out even though there's the wild card, too.
Whenever this occurred the discovery of a fresh outrage was sure to follow, but, so far, the miscreants had succeeded in baffling not only the police, but also the many farm hands who had formed themselves into a band of volunteer watchmen, determined to bring the cattle maimers to justice.
While the turkeys were engaged in baffling the rest of us, Dicky had found three sheep who seemed to wish to join the glad throng, so we let them.
God would, by all this, serve the honour of his name, and manifest his power in baffling the pride and insolence of that great and daring tyrant, who bade defiance to Heaven itself, and trampled upon all that was just and sacred.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.