from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The eggs of aquatic animals such as bivalve mollusks, fishes, and amphibians.
- n. Offspring occurring in numbers; brood.
- n. A person who is the issue of a parent or family.
- n. The source of something; a germ or seed.
- n. A product or an outcome.
- n. Mycelia of mushrooms or other fungi grown in specially prepared organic matter for planting in beds.
- intransitive v. To deposit eggs; produce spawn.
- intransitive v. To produce offspring in large numbers.
- transitive v. To produce or deposit (spawn).
- transitive v. To produce in large numbers.
- transitive v. To give rise to; engender: tyranny that spawned revolt.
- transitive v. To cause to spawn; bring forth; produce: a family that had spawned a monster.
- transitive v. To plant with mycelia grown in specially prepared organic matter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To produce or deposit (eggs) in water.
- v. To generate, bring into being, especially non-mammalian beings in very large numbers.
- v. To bring forth in general.
- v. To induce (aquatic organisms) to spawn
- v. To plant with fungal spawn
- v. To deposit (numerous) eggs in water.
- v. To reproduce, especially in large numbers.
- v. (To cause) to appear spontaneously in a game at a certain point and time.
- n. The numerous eggs of an aquatic organism
- n. Mushroom mycelium prepared for (aided) propagation
- n. Any germ or seed, even a figurative source; offspring
- n. The location in a game where characters or objects spontaneously appear.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ova, or eggs, of fishes, oysters, and other aquatic animals.
- n. Any product or offspring; -- used contemptuously.
- n. The buds or branches produced from underground stems.
- n. The white fibrous matter forming the matrix from which fungi.
- intransitive v. To deposit eggs, as fish or frogs do.
- intransitive v. To issue, as offspring; -- used contemptuously.
- transitive v. To produce or deposit (eggs), as fishes or frogs do.
- transitive v. To bring forth; to generate; -- used in contempt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To produce or lay (eggs): said of a female fish, and by extension of other animals; hence, to generate. It is sometimes applied, in contempt, to human beings.
- To produce or lay eggs of the kinds called spawn, as a fish, frog, mollusk, or crustacean; by extension, to produce offspring: said of other animals, and, in contempt, of human beings.
- To issue, as the eggs or young of a fish: by extension applied to other animals, and to human beings, in contempt.
- n. The eggs or ova of various oviparous animals, as amphibians, fishes, mollusks, crustaceans, etc., when small and numerous, or extruded in more or less coherent masses; female roe.
- n. The spat of the oyster, from the time of the discharge of the egg until the shell is visible and the creature has become attached.
- n. Offspring of fish; very small fish; fry.
- n. Offspring in general; a swarming brood: applied, mostly in contempt, to human beings.
- n. In botany, the mycelium of fungi; the white fibrous matter forming the matrix from which fungi are produced.
- Containing spawn; spawning, or about to spawn; ripe, as a fish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. call forth
- n. the mass of eggs deposited by fish or amphibians or molluscs
- v. lay spawn
So the term spawn is rarely applied to the pure mycelium, but is applied to the substratum or material in which spawn is growing; that is, the substratum and mycelium together constitute the spawn.
I am, however, happy to report that I caught my first of the season Sunday, and they were pretty aggressive even though the spawn is nearly two months away and the water is still darn cold.
I want an episodic TV series to spawn from the movie is what I want.
Enter King Kong Vs. Godzilla, his first colour feature, and lo and behold, the radiation spawn is charcoal gray.
And i was wondering if anyone knows when White Bass are in spawn around the Texas area.
The big difference between pacifists and the kind of activists that Jensen and Churchill are trying to spawn is that the pacifist says that he/she will do "whatever it takes" up to a point.
The removal of these fish from the wild before they are able to spawn is rapidly becoming one of the biggest threats to their survival.
In time they will again spawn another legion of badly behaved kids etc etc …
After a day or two the spawn is laid in long strings which wind themselves in and out of the reeds and soon become invisible.
The Brezinki spawn is stupid even by talking-babe standards.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.