American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To bring into being; create: originated the practice of monthly reports.
- v. To come into being; start. See Synonyms at stem1.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give rise or origin to; supply or constitute the beginning or commencement of; initiate; set going; bring to pass; bring into existence; occasion; cause; create, artistically or intellectually; produce; invent.
- To designate or describe as taking (its) beginning; derive; deduce.
- To arise; take (its) rise; find a starting-point or source; begin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To give an origin or beginning to; to cause to be; to bring into existence; to produce as new.
- v. To take first existence; to have origin or beginning; to begin to exist or act.
- v. bring into being
- v. begin a trip at a certain point, as of a plane, train, bus, etc.
- v. come into existence; take on form or shape
- From (the participle stem of) Late Latin *originare (“to begin, give rise to”), from Latin orīgō ("origin"). Compare origin. (Wiktionary)
“And what in the world -- where does the title originate?”
“What inspired your debut album 'Reach For The Sun' and where did the title originate from?”
“Slide 9: Underground Railroad Where did the term originate?”
“Strangely, too, he had the sense that the patient, Herod—and from where did such a name originate, or was it chosen as some bleak joke?”
“NOTE: We apologize for this inconvenience, but due to a high volume of various non-business related and unsolicited messages, emails sent to webhelp. email@example.com that did not originate from the Customer Support form will no longer be reviewed by our Customer Support Team.”
“– Rafiqis is gross, and I believe it to be something to do with the sauces since most gyro cones originate from a handful of vendors.”
“- Mexico Border, released earlier this month, found that 75% of the U.S. crime guns recovered in Mexico originate from the four border states - with roughly 40% originating from Texas alone.”
“The science of making a vagina out of a penis is pretty much perfect, because both the penis and vagina originate from the same tissue.”
“He let on just how much Nintendo relies on sentiment -- a sort of holistic cycle of positive feelings that originate from a small group of early adopters who instinctively "get it" and then spread the love.”
“September 10, 2009 at 12: 58 pm | Reply did this series originate from a book,”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘originate’.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
My list of words.
My big word list.
Vocabulary for developing objectives and test items.
Blooms Taxonomy Level: Synthesis
Words related to effect (verb).
Words meaning start or begin.
Words related to engender.
Looking for tweets for originate.