from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To carry within the uterus from conception to delivery.
- transitive v. To conceive and develop in the mind.
- intransitive v. To gestate offspring.
- intransitive v. To develop gradually.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To carry offspring in the uterus from conception to delivery.
- v. To develop an idea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To carry in the womb during the natural period of fetal development; hence, figuratively, to form and gradually mature (some project) in the mind, to be brought forth in due time.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be pregnant with
- v. have the idea for
Back-formation from gestation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)