from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sequence of DNA that codes information for protein synthesis that is transcribed to messenger RNA.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An officer of the Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard.
- n. A region of a transcribed gene present in the final functional RNA molecule.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A native or inhabitant of Exeter, in England.
- n. An officer of the Yeomen of the Guard; an Exempt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In England, the name given to each of four officers of the yeomen of the royal body-guard; an exempt.
- n. A native or inhabitant of Exeter, England.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. sequence of a gene's DNA that transcribes into protein structures
ex(pressed) + -on1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Apparently an attempt to express the pronunciation of French exempt. (Wiktionary)
From Latin ex (out) + -on; intended to be distinguished from intron. (Wiktionary)