from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not lawful; illegal.
- adj. Contrary to accepted morality or convention; illicit.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a child or children born to unmarried parents.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Prohibited; not permitted by law (either civil or criminal law; see illegal).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not lawful; contrary to law.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not lawful; contrary to law; illegal; not permitted by law, human or divine; not legalized: as, an unlawful act; an unlawful oath; an unlawful society.
- Begotten out of wedlock; illegitimate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. contrary to or forbidden by law
- adj. not conforming to legality, moral law, or social convention
- adj. not morally right or permissible
- adj. having no legally established claim
- adj. contrary to or prohibited by or defiant of law
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He describes how he was put on suicide watch in January, how he is currently being stripped naked every night, and how he is in general terms being subjected to what he calls "unlawful pre-trial punishment".
JEANNE MESERVE, HOMELAND SECURITY CORRESPONDENT: Wolf, the American Civil Liberties Union is suing the secretary of homeland security over what it calls unlawful searches and detentions at airports.
JEANNE MESERVE, CNN HOMELAND SECURITY CORRESPONDENT: Exactly, and now the American Civil Liberties Union is suing the Secretary of Homeland Security over what it calls unlawful searches and detentions at the airports.
JEANNE MESERVE, CNN HOMELAND SECURITY CORRESPONDENT: Well, Wolf, the American Civil Liberties Union is suing the secretary of homeland security, saying that -- that -- over what it calls unlawful searches and detentions at airports.
JEANNE MESERVE, CNN HOMELAND SECURITY CORRESPONDENT: Well, Kiran, the American Civil Liberties Union is suing the secretary of Homeland Security over what it calls unlawful searches and detentions at airports.
The group also complained about what they termed the unlawful arrest of their leader and Museveni's main rival Kizza Besigye, the banning of political gatherings, interference with the judiciary, and harassment of opposition political representatives and supporters.
R87-million for what he describes as his unlawful and unfair dismissal last year, the statement again stressed that the company and the board was responsible for entering and terminating employment relationships.
Bruno on the defensive as he accuses prosecutors of turning a blind eye to what he calls unlawful abuse of gubernatorial powers eluding to his nemesis, former governor Eliot Spitzer.
The rights body told the government to take "prompt action" to end what it called the unlawful arrest and torture of suspects.
Meanwhile in Israel, two human rights group have released a report documenting what they call the unlawful imprisonment of some 335 Palestinians in Israeli jails.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.