from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make, sell, or transport (alcoholic liquor) for sale illegally.
- transitive v. To produce, distribute, or sell without permission or illegally: a clandestine outfit that bootlegs compact discs and tapes.
- intransitive v. To engage in the bootlegging of alcoholic liquor or another product.
- intransitive v. To attach a transmitter to a dish antenna, creating an uplink via which a signal is sent to a satellite without the knowledge of the satellite's owner.
- intransitive v. Football To fake a hand-off, conceal the ball on the hip, and roll out in order to pass or especially to rush around the end. Used of a quarterback.
- n. A product, especially alcoholic liquor, that is illicitly produced, distributed, or sold.
- n. The part of a boot above the instep.
- n. Football A play in which the quarterback bootlegs.
- adj. Produced, sold, or transported illegally: bootleg gin; bootleg tapes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to make, transport and/or sell illegal alcoholic liquor
- v. to make, transport and/or sell an illegal version or copy of a copyright product
- v. to engage in bootlegging
- n. The part of a boot that is above the instep
- n. An illegally produced, transported or sold product; contraband
- n. A play in which the quarterback fakes a handoff, conceals the ball against his hip, and rolls out.
- adj. illegally produced, transported or sold; pirated
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. distributed or sold illicitly; especially, imported illegally.
- v. to sell illicit products such as drugs or alcohol.
- v. to produce alcohol illegally.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The part of a boot above the upper; leather cut out for the leg of a boot.
- n. One of the levers connected with the winding mechanism of a spinning-mule: so named from its shape.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. sell illicit products such as drugs or alcohol
- v. produce or distribute illegally
- n. whiskey illegally distilled from a corn mash
- adj. distributed or sold illicitly
- n. the part of a boot above the instep
From a smuggler's practice of carrying liquor in the legs of boots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
from the carrying of bottles of smuggled spirit in the legs of boots (Wiktionary)