from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a ruminant mammal of the genus Bos, such as an ox, cow, or buffalo.
- adj. Sluggish, dull, and stolid.
- n. An animal of the genus Bos.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to cattle.
- adj. Belonging to the tribe Bovini, including cows, buffalo, and bison.
- adj. Sluggish, dull, slow-witted.
- n. An animal of the family Bovidae, including cattle, buffaloes and bison.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the genus Bos; relating to, or resembling, the ox or cow; oxlike.
- adj. Having qualities characteristic of oxen or cows; sluggish and patient; dull.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or belonging to oxen, or specifically to the Bovinæ; boviform.
- Ox-like; stolid; inert; dull.
- n. One of the Bovinæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. dull and slow-moving and stolid; like an ox
- n. any of various members of the genus Bos
- adj. of or relating to or belonging to the genus Bos (cattle)
Late Latin bovīnus, from Latin bōs, bov-, cow.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin bovīnus, from bōs ("ox"). Cognate to beef. (Wiktionary)