from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling a sponge in appearance or texture; spongy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Like a sponge, porous, full of holes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Resembling a sponge; soft and porous; porous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the form or structure of a sponge; poriferous, as a member of the Spongiæ; of or pertaining to the Spongiæ.
- Sponge-like; spongy; soft, elastic, and porous, like an ordinary bath-sponge: noting various objects or substances not sponges.
Latin spongia, sponge; see sponge + -form.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek σπόγγος (spongos, "sponge") + -form (Wiktionary)