from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or characteristic of a goat, especially in strong odor.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Goatlike; of or pertaining to a goat or the goats.
- adj. Of a strong goatish smell.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the 179 characteristics of a goat; like a goat; goatish; especially, having a rank smell like that of a goat.
- n. A fossil amorphous resin, the composition of which has not been determined.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or pertaining to or suggestive of a goat (especially in strong odor)
Middle English hircyne, from Latin hircīnus, from hircus, goat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
First attested in its present form in 1650–1660: From Middle English hircyne, from Latin hircīnus ("of a goat”, “goat-scented"); equivalent to hircus ("a male goat") + -īnus ("-ine"). Cognates: French hircin. Compare caprine, haedine. (Wiktionary)