from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or characteristic of bears or a bear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of bears.
- adj. Covered in stiff bristles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a bear; resembling a bear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a bear or bears: as, an ursine genus; related to the bear; arctoid: as, the ursine series of Carnivora; resembling a bear or what relates to a bear: as, an ursine walk.
- In entomology, thickly clothed with long, bristle-like, erect hairs: applied especially to certain lepidopterous larvæ.
- n. A bear; any member of the family Ursidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or similar to bears
Latin ursīnus, from ursus, bear; see r̥tko- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Mid 16th century, from Latin ursinus, adjectival form of ursus ("bear"). (Wiktionary)