American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or resembling swine or a pig: "a bald porcine old man” ( Vladimir Nabokov).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology, resembling or related to swine; suilline: as, porcine characters or affinities.
- Swinish; hoggish; piggish: applied to persons in derision or contempt.
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, the pig.
- adj. Overweight to the extent of resembling a pig; morbidly obese.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to swine; characteristic of the hog.
- adj. resembling swine; coarsely gluttonous or greedy
- adj. relating to or suggesting swine
- adj. repellently fat
- From the Latin adjective porcinus, from the noun porcus ("pig"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French porcin, from Latin porcīnus, from porcus, pig; see porko- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In August, Philippine authorities sent samples from the dead pigs to the Plum Island Animal Disease Center in New York, where scientists detected the presence of several diseases, including a devastating pig virus known as porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome, or blue-ear pig disease.”
“As I watch the ways of Madam Pig, with her litter of piglets – "a wreath of girls with brothers intertwined" – I am led to think there are really wonderful advantages in porcine being.”
“The Rotarix vaccine has been found to contain a pig virus called porcine circovirus 1, or PCV1.”
“And then the day after this health care bill passes, the FDA announces that a popular rotovirus vaccine made by Merck is being halted because it is contaminated with a mysterious DNA sequence from a pig virus called porcine circovirus type 1 or PCV-1.”
“Academic researchers found DNA from an unexpected virus, known as porcine circovirus 1 (PCV1) in the Rotarix vaccine, manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline.”
“Academic researchers found DNA from an unexpected virus, known as porcine circovirus 1 PCV1 in the Rotarix vaccine, manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline.”
“PCV2 is known as porcine circovirus closely associated with post-weaning multisystemic wasting syndrome (PMWS).”
“But he said some farmers had instead dumped their pigs across the border in Cambodia at knock-down prices, spreading the disease, which is also known as porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome.”
“Local pork producers are constantly battling epidemics, the most recent being Blue Ear Disease (also known as porcine reproductive respiratory syndrome, PRRS), and frequently have to kill a large percentage of their herd in order to eradicate harmful diseases that could have been avoided by preventative medicine, and spot treatment of those noticed early.”
“VIET NAM - The veterinary sector has worked with provinces to ensure preventive measures have been taken to deal with worsening situation of blue-ear disease, otherwise known as porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome (PRRS).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘porcine’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
For more aporkalyptic fun, see madmouth's Everything's better with a pig in it.
For "references to the Dursleys in Wizard People, Dear Reader, Brad Neely's cosmos-shattering voiceover ...
Do any of your friends eat like a pig? Sly like a fox? Fast as a cheetah? Maybe these words describe them better
the asethetic of an animal... animal adjectives
// god mandated attempt to realign with the timeless forces of the universe via remastered locution //
By David Foster Wallace
Looking for tweets for porcine.