American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Contented to a fault; self-satisfied and unconcerned: He had become complacent after years of success.
- adj. Eager to please; complaisant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Civil; kindly; giving pleasure. See complaisant (now generally used in this sense).
- Accompanied with or springing from a sense of quiet enjoyment; gratified; satisfied: as, a complacent look or smile.
- adj. Uncritically satisfied with oneself or one's achievements; smug.
- adj. Apathetic with regard to an apparent need or problem.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Self-satisfied; contented; kindly.
- adj. contented to a fault with oneself or one's actions
- From Latin complacens ("very pleasing"), present participle of complacere ("to please at the same time, be very pleasing"), from com- ("together") + placere ("to please"); see please and compare complaisant. (Wiktionary)
- Latin complacēns, complacent-, present participle of complacēre, to please : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + placēre, to please; see plāk-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The next night, in the cabin up-river, after Miriam had left them alone to what she termed their complacent silence, Garry Devereau and Steve sat a long while before the former raised a face alight with his rare mirth.”
“As long as we remain complacent in the face of injustice ... it will continue with impunity.”
“The great mass of Christian people remain complacent, unaware both that the position of the Church in contemporary society is humiliating and that the cause of that humiliation is their own timid compromise with a secularism inconsistent with tenets the holding and advancement of which are the Church's chief reason for being …”
“When you don't have to deal with the consequences, it's easy to remain complacent & ignorant in yer privilege; and even if you do have an awareness of the issue, that doesn't equate to insight as to dealing with it.”
“Or are you content to let things be and remain complacent in your ignorance?”
“And knowing that freedom and democracy are the most dangerous enemies of right-wing ideologues, as the bush administration and the republican party have made crystal clear through both words and actions, would it be “extremist” to wonder how much longer true Americans will remain complacent before they take up arms against a government which no longer represents the people, as the Constitution requires?”
“After 18 years in complacent captivity, the alien named Ripi is looking to escape for reasons unknown.”
“It may be, the reader will find in our essay beauties which he had not yet observed, which have hitherto been disputed in the original, and which less sympathetic natures than ours might term complacent eulogies; but the fear of being blamed and of being unpopular shall not deter us from our intention of bringing them forth.”
“Kreis used the word complacent many times after the game.”
“But we're not complacent, which is why we're already working closely with many businesses and encouraging others to plan ahead to ensure they keep on running during 2012 and make the most of all the Games have to offer.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘complacent’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
Similar words meaning different things
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Got this idea from a Bizarro Cartoon. Let's find some others!
This list, the one shown below this very message, is a collection of words that you cannot begin to fathom how much I adore. The list will also feature atithesis and contrasting words such as the t...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
All my favourite words that I come across!
Looking for tweets for complacent.