American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Manifesting or characterized by unusually early development or maturity, especially in mental aptitude.
- adj. Botany Blossoming before the appearance of leaves.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Ripe before the natural time.
- Ripe in understanding at an early period; prematurely developed; forward: as, a precocious child; precocious faculties.
- Indicative of precocity; characteristic of early maturity; anticipative of greater age; premature.
- In botany, appearing before the leaves: said of flowers.
- In biology, present in an egg or embryo at a very early stage in an imperceptible condition; present before becoming manifest.
- Noting birds that, like chickens, are able to run about as soon as hatched; precocial. See Præcoces.
- adj. Characterized by exceptionally early development or maturity.
- adj. Exhibiting advanced skills at an abnormally early age.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. rare Ripe or mature before the proper or natural time; early or prematurely ripe or developed.
- adj. Developed more than is natural or usual at a given age; exceeding what is to be expected of one's years; too forward; -- used especially of mental forwardness
- adj. characterized by or characteristic of exceptionally early development or maturity (especially in mental aptitude)
- adj. appearing or developing early
- From Latin praecox ("premature, precocious, ripe before time, early ripe"), from praecoquere ("to ripen beforehand, ripen fully, also boil beforehand"), from prae ("before") + coquere ("to cook, boil"). (Wiktionary)
- From Latin praecox, praecoc-, premature, from praecoquere, to boil before, ripen early : prae-, pre- + coquere, to cook, ripen; see pekw- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I think the term precocious is applicable as is free spirited.”
“The shout of laughter that followed this was not in proportion to the depth but the unexpectedness of the joke, and John Adams went on his way, chuckling at the impudence of what he called the precocious snipe.”
“For a young kid, he's extremely precocious from a standpoint of being a professional pitcher.”
“Now those abominations whom you call precocious boys -- your little pet monsters, doctor!”
“Just by singing in English, precocious French duo the Do (pronounced "doe") have sparked a cultural shift in their homeland.”
“I am certain that any 4-year old who not only knows the word precocious, but can also spell and properly use the word, also knows the word “fuck”. reply”
“After the judges called her precocious, the word become the #1 search term on google trends. btw, pre·co·cious: unusually advanced or mature in development, esp. mental development: a precocious child.”
“Behaviour that would have been called precocious decades ago and dealt with via discipline now requires doped up youth so that communist teachers don't have to work so hard.”
“From here, we step forward to our own English word precocious, said of a child who has ripened, or matured, early.”
“Byron recalls the precocious feelings of his childhood toward his little cousins -- feelings so strong as to make him lose sleep, appetite, peace; when he describes them, still unable to explain them -- we feel that they were passions much more ethereal with him than with children in general.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘precocious’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Hard words level 1
starting from i dont know the 4th or 5th chapter called 'year of the depend adult undergarment'
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2455 more...
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for precocious.