from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A random, haphazard action or occurrence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The killing of another in self-defense upon a sudden and unpremeditated encounter. See chaud-medley.
- n. Luck; chance; accident.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law:
- n. Originally, a casual affray or riot, accompanied with violence, and without deliberate or preconceived malice.
- n. The killing of another in self-defense, upon a sudden and unpremeditated encounter.
- n. Hence Misadventure.
- n. A haphazard mixture; a fortuitous combination.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unpremeditated killing of a human being in self defense
Middle English chaunce medley, manslaughter, from Norman French chance medlee, mixed accident : Old French chance, accident; see chance + Old French medlee, mixed; see medley.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)