American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having different forms at different periods of the life cycle, as in stages of insect metamorphosis.
- adj. Differing from the standard form in size or structure: heteromorphic chromosome pairs.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Deviating in form from a given type or standard; of irregular, abnormal, or unusual structure or composition.
- In entomology, undergoing entire transformation or complete metamorphosis; metabolous; specifically, pertaining to or having the characters of the Heteromorpha or Heteromorphæ.
- Also heteromorphous.
- Of or pertaining to heteromorphism, in any sense of that word.
- adj. biology Having different forms in different stages of the life cycle
- adj. Differing in size or structure from the normal
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Biol.) Deviating from the normal, perfect, or mature form; having different forms at different stages of existence, or in different individuals of the same species; -- applied especially to insects in which there is a wide difference of form between the larva and the adult, and to plants having more than one form of flower.
- hetero- + -morphic (Wiktionary)
“It's very heteromorphic, meaning it's deviated from the norm - that norm being freedom to choose and freedom of speech in America.”
“Huge heteromorphic creatures cleaved themselves from the walls and lunged at one another.”
“The occurrence of heteromorphic unions renders it necessary to keep in mind that plants hermaphrodite as to structure are by no means necessarily so as to function.”
“Forms of Flowers," De Candolle's criticism of Darwin's. homomorphic and heteromorphic unions described in.”
“I find that the mid-styled (by variation) P. sinensis is more fertile with own pollen, even, than a heteromorphic union!”
“Red cowslip by variation has become non-dimorphic, and with this change of structure has become much more productive of seed than even the heteromorphic union of the common cowslip.”
“Based on physical experiences, the brain forms metaphors (heteromorphic, isofunctional, relational patterns) to understand one kind of experience in terms of another.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘heteromorphic’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Looking for tweets for heteromorphic.