from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative form of cross-grained.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the grain or fibers run diagonally, or more or less transversely and irregularly, so as to interfere with splitting or planing.
- adj. Perverse; untractable; contrary; difficult to deal with.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having an irregular gnarled grain or fiber, as timber.
- Hence Perverse; untractable; crabbed; refractory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of timber; having fibers running irregularly rather than in parallel
- adj. difficult to deal with
Sorry, no etymologies found.
What crossgrained fiend has at once inspired you with what I suppose you wish me to call politic doubts and scruples of conscience, but which I can only regard as symptoms of fear and disaffection?
He was, I admit, wild; but never such a crossgrained fellow as yourself; and yet he too had his daily dose of the whip.
"I am rather crossgrained when I am not well pleased."
In making plywood the inside sheets are placed crossgrained with the face sheets.
I was too ruffled and crossgrained to talk to him, but I could not keep myself from watching him.
By rights and logically he ought to fall into rank with the rest of the gods; but there is a crossgrained element in his nature which keeps him out.
We do not like to see him become crossgrained, mean in disposition and stony hearted.
She had an ideal of fatherhood, had gentle, silent, useless Lydia -- formed upon the genial, sunshiny type of parent popular in books, and she cast a romantic veil over disappointed, selfish, crossgrained Malcolm
Does that satisfy you, you crossgrained old shellfish?
These are grounds for believing that legislators, while exhorting to virtue and putting certain courses of conduct forward as right and honourable, in the expectation that good men will obey the call, as their habits lead them, should at the same time inflict chastisements and punishments upon the crossgrained and disobedient; and as for the incurably vicious, put them beyond the pale altogether.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.