from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Biology Covered with short, dense, matted hairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. (entomology) In entomology and plant morphology, a taxonomic component which is covered in hairs. There will be dense matted hairs on leaf, stem or seed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Covered with matted woolly hairs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany, covered with hairs so close as scarcely to be distinguished; densely pubescent with matted wool or tomentum; coated with down-like hairs.
- In entomology, clothed with short inconspicuous hairs interwoven or matted together.
- In anatomy, fleecy; flocculent. See tomentum, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. densely covered with short matted woolly hairs
- adj. covered with densely matted filaments
New Latin tōmentōsus, from Latin tōmentum, cushion stuffing.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)