American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Biology Covered with short, dense, matted hairs.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany, covered with hairs so close as scarcely to be distinguished; densely pubescent with matted wool or tomentum; coated with down-like hairs.
- In entomology, clothed with short inconspicuous hairs interwoven or matted together.
- In anatomy, fleecy; flocculent. See tomentum, 2.
- adj. biology (entomology) In entomology and plant morphology, a taxonomic component which is covered in hairs. There will be dense matted hairs on leaf, stem or seed.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Bot. & Zoöl.) Covered with matted woolly hairs.
- adj. densely covered with short matted woolly hairs
- adj. covered with densely matted filaments
- New Latin tōmentōsus, from Latin tōmentum, cushion stuffing. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Deer don't like strongly scented plants, so mint and rosemary are deterrents, as are plants with fuzzy (tomentose) leaves.”
“GREVILLEA FLORIBUNDA may have been an allied species, for the leaves were more downy, almost tomentose above.”
“The leaves are trifoliate with tomentose leaflets that have the typical reticulate venation of yams, 12-16 cm long, 6-9 cm broad: the petioles are pubescent and often spiny.”
“On hills about camp, Labiata nova, and a curious tomentose plant were the only novelties.”
“+Cap+ 2 to 5 inches broad, yellowish-brown, convex, dry, firm, glabrous or minutely tomentose, flesh yellow or pale yellow.”
“The stems are sometimes white, tomentose at the base.”
“Some of the cocoons have attached to them the remains of the tomentose stalk of the plant upon which they were formed; others have portions of”
“_ Coal-black, shining; antennæ tawny; thorax slightly tomentose; spines of the scutellum and legs white; wings blackish grey, paler towards the hind border, veins black; halteres testaceous.”
“_ Black, with gilded tomentum, which forms two bands on the thorax, and one on each side of the pectus; abdomen with three gilded tomentose bands, the third subapical, first segment ferruginous beneath; legs tawny, femora at the base and coxæ black; wings blackish-brown, dark cinereous hindward; halteres tawny.”
“Mostly small southern ferns growing on rocks, pubescent or tomentose with much divided leaves.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tomentose’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
the concise british flora in colour (w. keble martin) - glossary - edited, and to be added to
All the words from the Grandiloquent Dictionary.
946 of these 2700 words do not yield any results in six different dictionaries, hence many of them might be misspellings.
Words meaning hairy.
Hairy words. Much pilfered from G. Cook's Hairy list.
Looking for tweets for tomentose.