American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Biology Of, relating to, resembling, or covered with villi.
- adj. Botany Covered with soft, shaggy unmatted hairs.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having villi; abounding in villiform processes; covered with fine hairs or woolly substance; nappy; shaggy; finely hirsute or hispid: as, a villous membrane.
- In botany, pubescent with long and soft hairs which are not interwoven
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Abounding in, or covered with, fine hairs, or a woolly substance; shaggy with soft hairs; nappy.
- adj. (Anat.) Furnished or clothed with villi.
- From Latin villus "shaggy hair". (Wiktionary)
- From Latin villōsus, hairy, from villus, shaggy hair. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Using term villous cytotrophoblast preparations, Aris and colleagues found that high levels of vitamins C (50 and 100 µM) and E (20 and 50 µM) affect placental function and immunity in standard culture conditions, as reflected by a decreased secretion of hCG and an increased production of TNF-alpha in a dose-dependent manner”
“Later, Crocker et al. exposed term villous tissues to different oxygen concentrations (3% and 17% O”
“That leads to a truncating of the villi lining the small intestine (called villous atrophy).”
“Jatla M, Zemel B, Bokhari A, Bierly P, Russo P, Verma R. Body mass index and degree of villous atrophy correlate with bone mineral content deficits in children at time of diagnosis with celiac disease.”
“Kitano Y, Ruchelli E, Weiner S, Adzick NS: Hepatic mesenchymal hamartoma associated with mesenchymal stem villous hyperplasia of the placenta.”
“Chorionic villous sampling was also performed to rule out a fetal chromosomal anomaly that occurs in 6 to 8 percent of such cases.”
“Pregnant women carrying fetuses at risk for these disorders require counseling about the potential for prenatal transplantation to treat their specific disease, and, if appropriate, will require chorionic villous sampling (CVS) at 10 weeks gestation for early prenatal diagnosis.”
“All villous substances, as wool, skins of animals, and down of birds, have heat.”
“PLECTRANTHUS PARVIFLORUS, the yellow VIGNA LANCEOLATA, with a villous form of AJUGA AUSTRALIS, and a little PILOTHECA, with narrow, closepressed leaves. 120”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘villous’.
I only started dog-earing 2/5 of the way through, so I'll have to re-read at some point in order to complete this list.
the concise british flora in colour (w. keble martin) - glossary - edited, and to be added to
Words meaning hairy.
Hairy words. Much pilfered from G. Cook's Hairy list.
Looking for tweets for villous.