from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To reduce to powder; pulverize.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To pulverize; to smash.
- v. To cause fragmentation of bone, an intense skull fracture.
- v. To break into smaller portions.
- n. pulverized material
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To reduce to minute particles, or to a fine powder; to pulverize; to triturate; to grind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make small or fine; reduce to minute particles or to a fine powder by breaking, pounding, braying, rasping, or grinding; pulverize; triturate, levigate.
- Divided into small parts; comminuted.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. reduce to small pieces or particles by pounding or abrading
Latin comminuere, comminūt- : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + minuere, to lessen; see mei-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)