from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To rub, crush, grind, or pound into fine particles or a powder; pulverize.
- n. A triturated substance, especially a powdered drug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To grind to a fine powder, to pulverize.
- v. To mix two solid reactants by repeated grinding and stirring.
- v. To break up biological tissue into individual cells via passage through a narrow opening such as a hypodermic needle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To rub, grind, bruise, or thrash.
- transitive v. To rub or grind to a very fine or impalpable powder; to pulverize and comminute thoroughly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To rub, grind, or bruise; specifically, to grind to a powder.
- In physiology, to grind with the grinders; masticate with the molar teeth; chew to a pulp.
- n. A form of medicine in which an active substance has been thoroughly powdered and mixed by rubbing up with sugar of milk.
Late Latin trītūrāre, trītūrāt-, to thresh, from Latin trītūra, a threshing, from trītus, past participle of terere, to thresh; see terə-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)