from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Treated so as to have a permanently crinkled or rumpled appearance. Used of a fabric: crushed velvet; crushed denim.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of crush.
- adj. pulverised, rendered into small, disconnected fragments.
- adj. Broken, saddened, depressed
- adj. Of a fabric, having the appearance of having been crushed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. treated so as to have a permanently wrinkled appearance; -- of fabrics.
- adj. utterly defeated.
- adj. brought low in condition or status by confusion, humiliation, or severe disappointment.
- adj. broken or pounded into small fragments; used of e.g. ore or stone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Broken or bruised by squeezing or pressure: as, crushed strawberries.
- Broken or bruised to powder by grinding or pounding; pulverized; comminuted: as, crushed sugar; crushed quartz.
- Crumpled; rumpled; pressed out of shape, as by crowding: as, a crushed hat or bonnet.
- Overwhelmed or subdued by power; pressed or kept down as by a superincumbent weight.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. treated so as to have a permanently wrinkled appearance
- adj. subdued or brought low in condition or status
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I. ii.23 (14,4) his valour is crushed into folly] To be _crushed into folly_, is to be _confused_ and mingled with _folly_, so as that they make one mass together.
The pomace which is what you call crushed apples fell into a slatted tub and, when the tub was full, a wooden disc was set on top of the pomace.
I used a whisper white 6 X 6 piece of cardstock and stamped the Medallion stamp in crushed curry in the lower right hand corner.
The Quiru, said the myths, had for that sin crushed Rhiannon and locked him into a hidden tomb.
That the decadent and barbarous peoples will be crushed is a fair presumption; likewise that the stronger breeds will survive, entering upon the transition stage to which all the world must ultimately come.
However the tactic of Mass illegal arrests (sorry, Kettling) meant that this 1% were mixed in crushed crowds.
Gently fold in crushed Oreo cookies with a spatula.
A Metrorail train crushed his legs, but he survived.
But McCain crushed Romney 2-1 among those voters who are not satisfied with the Presidency of George W. Bush.
Fabricated in crushed nylon, the collection features two key prints: the retro-inspired Costa, and nautical-inspired Loveboat.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.