American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Seeming beyond consolation; extremely dejected: disconsolate at the loss of the dog.
- adj. Cheerless; gloomy: a disconsolate winter landscape.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Destitute of comfort or consolation; sorrowful; hopeless or not expecting comfort; sad; dejected; melancholy.
- Causing or manifesting discomfort; sad or saddening; cheerless; gloomy: as, disconsolate news; a disconsolate look or manner.
- Synonyms Inconsolable, forlorn.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete Disconsolateness.
- adj. Destitute of consolation; deeply dejected and dispirited; hopelessly sad; comfortless; filled with grief.
- adj. Inspiring dejection; saddening; cheerless.
- adj. causing dejection
- adj. sad beyond comforting; incapable of being consoled
- From Medieval Latin discōnsōlātus ("comfortless"), from Latin dis- ("away") + cōnsōlātus ("consoled"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Medieval Latin discōnsōlātus : Latin dis-, dis- + cōnsōlātus, past participle of cōnsōlārī, to console; see console1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He would have gone moping about for years in disconsolate solitude, silent and sullen as a ghost, or would have rent the air with unavailing shrieks and lamentations.”
“I knew I'd find you here," called a disconsolate voice, and Emma Dean appeared from behind a huge flowering bush.”
“Little wonder that the kind Duchess looked "disconsolate" in the middle of her content!”
“It seems to me you look kind of disconsolate this morning. ”
“By the time of the next pep rally, everyone's at each others throats and a disconsolate Coach Taylor can barely bring himself to utter the word "victory.”
“He arrived brimming with enthusiasm that was lost on his disconsolate squad.”
“Minor, a CNN Hero, tells the story of a woman who became disconsolate, barely able to get out of bed to care for her three kids and a newborn after her husband died in a fire.”
“Meanwhile, at Westminster Tube station, disconsolate penguins swathed in scarves waited in vain for a train to Stanmore.”
“I wandered around disconsolate, listless, and squinting.”
“This remarkable venture combines memorable themes with striking ensemble-writing, dramatic brass and percussion sounds and a faintly disconsolate beauty, writes John Fordham”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘disconsolate’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Collected from reading
feelings...blah, blah, blah, feelings...
Down in the dumps, feeling blue? Here, then, is a list for you...
All my favourite words that I come across!
A list of words that I have generated over time.
Looking for tweets for disconsolate.