American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Affected or marked by low spirits; dejected. See Synonyms at depressed.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Indicating depression of spirits; discouraged; dejected.
- Spiritless; tame; wanting vigor: as, a poor, dispirited style.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of dispirit.
- adj. Without energy, gusto or drive, enervated, without the will to accomplish, disheartened.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Depressed in spirits; deprived of cheer or enthusiasm; disheartened; discouraged; daunted.
- adj. filled with melancholy and despondency
- adj. marked by low spirits; showing no enthusiasm
“All who went out, returned back dispirited from the vain and weary search, and even the most sanguine began to grow sick at heart.”
“The "dispirited" part is an obvious gaffe, but it seems that it's entirely possible to be a "conservative liberal," depending on what you mean by those terms.”
“The Daily Telegraph said Capello desperately needs to shake up his team to get the best out of players like Frank Lampard and a "dispirited" Rooney before the final group C game with Slovenia.”
“Everyone was tired and worried and the rubberneckers were making them feel "dispirited", he said.”
“According to a "dispirited" WikiLeaks activist, the group's "secrecy and compartmentalization are apparently hindering its operations," since only”
“He said that hundreds of Hamas's fighters has been killed and the mood was 'dispirited', with Hamas launching fewer than 30 rockets a day compared with 70 or 80 when the war started.”
“Even a flagging campaign can be presented as evidence of McCain's fundamental goodness; noting that McCain seemed "dispirited" in early 2007, Newsweek offered, "It may be because he is not, at heart, a politician.”
“a "prolonged period" and said businesses are "dispirited" by tax and regulatory changes.”
“You can embrace your fears and become a timid, dispirited, wounded person for years—perhaps for a lifetime—or you can reject your dread and believe what God has said to be true.”
“I tried to start an office lacrosse pool, but everyone was too dispirited to participate.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dispirited’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Down in the dumps, feeling blue? Here, then, is a list for you...
she's such a joy.
These words I know, I just haven't used them in a while. Time to bring them back into vogue.
Looking for tweets for dispirited.