American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Becoming putrid; putrefying.
- adj. Of or relating to putrefaction.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Becoming or growing putrid, or fetidly rotten; in course of putrefying; tainted with putrefaction or decay: as, putrescent flesh.
- Of or pertaining to the process of putrefaction: as, a putrescent smell.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Becoming putrid or rotten.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the process of putrefaction.
- adj. becoming putrid
- Attested since circa 1730, from Latin putrescens, present participle of putresco. (Wiktionary)
- Latin putrēscēns, putrēscent-, present participle of putrēscere, to rot, inchoative of putrēre, to be rotten, from puter, putr-, rotten; see pū̆- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Commercial repellents use animal products, such as putrescent egg solids, to make the plants unappealing to deer.”
“The carcasses could not be allowed to decay naturally, Ms McKibbin said, because they were considered "putrescent" nuclear waste, and so were kept frozen until they could be disposed of in a special landfill facility on the site.”
“Ash pronounced which he has no way to know how many were strike by ikee, though he can guess which the some-more than the primary 100 which were directly putrescent from his iPhone.”
“A lung of London," I said; "nay, an abscess, a great putrescent sore.”
“So overpowering was it that it was easy to discover the source a mass of putrescent matter on the doorstep which in general outlines resembled a dog.”
“But Violet's father harvested his putrescent basil without so much as a second thought and baked a batch of basil cupcakes.”
“It smelled as if the room itself had been abruptly conveyed to some putrescent corner of Hell.”
“How is it that his putrescent words have made him wealthy?”
“Only a matter of time now until we come across the twisted manifesto of some idiot who shoots an innocent citizen (for doing nothing more than exercising their democratic right to disagree, no less) as an homage to this screeching and putrescent banshee.”
“This putrescent streak of dishonesty is being held in place by the participants in order that they shall benefit by re-election or retirement, indeed, a number are even claiming parliamentary privilege when facing criminal investigation.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘putrescent’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
I found most of these words in books! That means they MUST be good.
My Favorite Words
Words as I learn them.
Those I've come across and try to keep fresh within my mind.
Words that lend to the dark and dreary atmosphere of gothic literature.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for putrescent.