from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To plunge into liquid; immerse. See Synonyms at dip.
- transitive v. To dip (food) into a liquid food, such as a beverage or sauce, prior to eating.
- transitive v. Basketball To slam (a ball) through the basket from above.
- intransitive v. To submerge oneself briefly in water.
- intransitive v. Basketball To slam a ball through the basket from above.
- n. The act or an instance of dunking.
- n. A liquid or creamy food into which other foods are dunked.
- n. Basketball A dunk shot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To submerge briefly in a liquid.
- v. To set down carelessly.
- v. To put the ball directly downward through the hoop while grabbing onto the rim with power.
- n. The act of dunking, particularly in basketball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket
- v. immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate
- v. dip into a liquid while eating
- v. make a dunk shot, in basketball
Fans, meanwhile, have their own disputes—particularly over the word dunk.
So for the word dunk, he prefers clavada , which comes from clavo , the noun for "nail."
This is a guy who can dunk from the foul line with room to spare.
His behind-the-back, 360-degree dunk is still one of the most amazing that I've seen.
Let me try it, Pez. obama pulling off a 360 dunk from the foul line – epic fail
You can see that show here (the last dunk is the best).
Smith, who was sluggish through much of the first half, drove past Aldridge and Nicolas Batum for a hard dunk from the left baseline late in the third to give the Hawks an eight-point lead.
Warrick scored seven points in the fourth quarter, including a thundering dunk from the baseline that gave the Grizzlies a 101-96 lead with 2: 10 remaining.
Odd, then, that they won it with a backboard-shaking dunk from a big guy, Kenyon Martin, who spent most of Friday night acting as though he was one of Denver's many shooting guards.
Old school to meet new in dunk contest - USATODAY. com
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.