from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To plunge into liquid; immerse. See Synonyms at dip.
- transitive v. To dip (food) into a liquid food, such as a beverage or sauce, prior to eating.
- transitive v. Basketball To slam (a ball) through the basket from above.
- intransitive v. To submerge oneself briefly in water.
- intransitive v. Basketball To slam a ball through the basket from above.
- n. The act or an instance of dunking.
- n. A liquid or creamy food into which other foods are dunked.
- n. Basketball A dunk shot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To submerge briefly in a liquid.
- v. To set down carelessly.
- v. To put the ball directly downward through the hoop while grabbing onto the rim with power.
- n. The act of dunking, particularly in basketball.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket
- v. immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate
- v. dip into a liquid while eating
- v. make a dunk shot, in basketball
Pennsylvania Dutch dunke, from Middle High German dunken, from Old High German dunkōn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)