from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To swallow up or overwhelm by or as if by overflowing and enclosing: The spring tide engulfed the beach houses.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To overwhelm.
- v. To surround; to cover.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To absorb or swallow up as in a gulf.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To swallow up in or as in a gulf or whirlpool; overwhelm by swallowing or submerging.
- To cast into or as into a gulf.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. devote (oneself) fully to
- v. flow over or cover completely
en- + gulf (Wiktionary)