from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cover with water; submerge.
- transitive v. To overwhelm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cover; to submerge; to engulf; to bury.
- v. To overcome with emotion.
- v. To throw (something) over a thing so as to cover it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cover with water or other fluid; to cover by immersion in something that envelops on all sides; to overwhelm; to ingulf.
- transitive v. Fig.: To cover completely, as if with water; to immerse; to overcome.
- transitive v. To throw (something) over a thing so as to cover it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To throw over so as to cover.
- To engulf; submerge; cover by immersion in something that envelops on all sides; overwhelm.
- Hence, to crush, ruin, or destroy by some sudden overpowering disaster.
- To pass or roll over so as to cover or submerge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. overcome, as with emotions or perceptual stimuli
But the didlates of calm reafon have been, ovei'whelm'ed by that torrent of ambition, which has boi; ne down the facred barriers of the conflitution, by taking, ad - vantage of the calamity of our gracidus fove -
“Hence am I borne against the rocks; hence 'whelm'd
Good to have a battle on our hands - and, as Shakespeare said - the truth will out tho all the world or 'whelm it.
I find that I even enjoy trips for work, even though key note speakers at regional or national conferences tend to under-whelm.
Somewhere a volcano may whelm a city, earth shake its skin like an old horse,
A dozen years into a remarkable career, Carroll is wallowing -- apparently oblivious -- in a creative crisis that threatens to whelm it. posted by Gregory Feeley at 12:17 PM
At some point the failure to deliver analogous with profits should over whelm the bland answers on TV about investment, agenda's and supposed reform given by New Labour zombies.
Give fire: she is my prize, or ocean whelm them all!
Unlikely as it seems, a sudden lust might overwhelm you—over-whelm us for that matter.
Should hide our walls, or whelm beneath the ground.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.