from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A steam-driven machine equipped with a heavy roller for smoothing road surfaces.
- n. A similar machine with an internal-combustion engine.
- n. A ruthless or irresistible force or power.
- transitive v. To smooth or level (a road) with a steamroller.
- transitive v. To overwhelm or suppress ruthlessly; crush.
- intransitive v. To move or proceed with overwhelming or crushing force.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a steam-powered heavy road roller
- n. Any heavy road roller
- n. any seemingly irresistible force
- n. a pipe, used for smoking cannabis, open at both ends and having a bowl near one end; it rolls the smoke (steam)
- v. to level a road using a steamroller
- v. to proceed ruthlessly against all opposition as if with an overwhelming force; to overpower
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. bring to a specified state by overwhelming force or pressure
- v. make level or flat with a steamroller
- n. a massive inexorable force that seems to crush everything in its way
- v. crush with a steamroller as if to level
- n. vehicle equipped with heavy wide smooth rollers for compacting roads and pavements
- v. overwhelm by using great force
- v. proceed with great force
Sorry, no etymologies found.