from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long heavy hammer, often wielded with both hands, used for driving wedges and posts and for other heavy work.
- transitive v. To strike with or as if with a sledgehammer.
- adj. Ruthlessly severe; crushing: sledgehammer prosecutorial tactics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hammer that consists of a large, heavy, broad and flat block of metal (the head) attached to a handle typically 0.5 meter to 1 meter long. The sledgehammer's design is meant to allow it to be swung powerfully, and to distribute force over a wide area upon impact.
- v. To strike with a sledgehammer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a heavy long-handled hammer used to drive stakes or wedges
- v. beat with a sledgehammer
In January it emerged that the plan - codenamed "sledgehammer" - had been hatched at the highest levels of the military to plant bombs to destabilise the government.
COOPER (voice-over): As for leisure activities, a few old weights and a sledgehammer is the gym.
As for leisure activities, a few old weights and a sledgehammer is the gym.
The high leather boots and the hand that still gripped the handle of the sledgehammer were the only remains of the man.
In Florence, Italy, a sledgehammer was the likely cause of destruction for a speed camera on the Florence-Pisa-Leghorn expressway.
Then, Orton, in a fit of evil rage, ran under the ring and grabbed a sledgehammer, which is usually Triple H's weapon of choice.
Gardai are understood to be hopeful of recovering forensic evidence from the sledgehammer, which is said to have been well preserved when recovered.
Melton called his sledgehammer demolition of the property an "administrative mistake."
"sledgehammer" - had been hatched at the highest levels of the military to plant bombs to destabilise the government.
You’d better call the sledgehammer/Put your mind at rest
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.