American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that flays, dresses, or sells animal skins.
- n. Western U.S. A mule driver.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who deals in skins of any sort, as hides, furs, or parchments; a furrier.
- n. One who removes the skin, as from animals; a flayer.
- n. One who strips or robs; a plunderer; specifically [capitalized], in United States history, one of a body of marauders during the revolutionary war, professedly belonging to the American side, who infested the region between the British and American lines in New York, and committed depredations, especially upon the loyalists.
- n. A bird fat enough to burst the skin on falling to the ground when shot.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who skins.
- n. One who deals in skins, pelts, or hides.
- n. a person who prepares or deals in animal skins
- n. United States actor (1858-1942)
- n. United States psychologist and a leading proponent of behaviorism (1904-1990)
- n. a worker who drives mules
- n. United States actress noted for her one-woman shows (1901-1979)
- to skin + -er (Wiktionary)
“The skinner was a fat, good-humoured creature, like all”
“im a big x files fan an i cant recall skinner saying anything like that,,”
“There have been few ante-post setbacks to match it in recent seasons, and victory for the new O'Brien-trained favourite, Jan Vermeer, would be a relative "skinner" for the layers in ante-post terms as he was barely on the punters 'radar until his win in the Gallinule Stakes 10 days ago.”
“By his son, Theodorus Van Wyck, Esq., of Fishkill Hook, who remembers to have been shown, within the last forty years, by an individual then living, the bones of a "skinner," or cowboy, still lying unburied in a defile of the mountains.”
“Provides the ability to apply different skins to a theme By copy the 'skinner' directory to your wp-contents / plugins directory.”
“If you use latex to generate pdfs another idea is to use the geometry package to set the page skinner than A4, and then eliminate any margins.”
“I'm sure the Republican haters will be on in no time commenting on how President Obama delaying his vacation is bad for the country! vince skinner”
“I always thought I was a bit superficial because I've tended towards skinner guys and gals, but I realized I've been attracted to bigger people before, I just didn't think of them as, to use the bad term, "fat.”
“Among these, the Ergohunter Avid skinner stands out.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘skinner’.
Let's keep this to reasonably well known family names that are or used to be professions, trades, or arts.
Just like it says
Hey kids! What do YOU want to be when you grow up?!
Reprint edition, Devon: Latimer Trend & Co., Ltd., 1969. Full original citation (you'd better grab a drink and sit down) is:
Some of these professions still exist today but the word for them has changed; some (mason or boatswain, for example), are still in use but are included for their rich historical associations. Som...
Looking for tweets for skinner.