American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A liquid, such as turpentine, mixed with paint or varnish to reduce its viscosity and make it easier to apply.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Specifically, a liquid used in thinning down a paste paint. Liquids so used are linseed-oil, Japan drier, and turpentine. A keg of lead bought by a painter is a paste paint. It is dry white lead ground in linseed-oil in the proportion of 92 pounds of dry lead to 8 pounds of oil. The painter then adds thinners until the paint will work under his brush.
Jour. Franklin Inst., July, 1904, p. 17.
- n. One who or that which thins.
- adj. comparative form of thin: more thin
- n. A liquid substance used to thin the consistency of another liquid.
- n. Something that thins.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who thins, or makes thinner.
- n. a diluting agent
“Much of the coal thats left is of poorer quality or its in thinner, more deeply buried seams.”
“The film should probably be seen by all health professionals dealing with obesity - especially those, who widely promote the general ideology that thinner is healthier (even though epidemiological studies clearly tell us that this IS NOT THE CASE!).”
“Children who have had a mechanical valve surgically placed will need routine monitoring to make sure that the blood thinner is creating just the right amount of thinning effect.”
“Don't you concur that thinner is healthier, and that yogurt is a great source of protein and active culture?”
“So, while there are some changes, it is likely that most models are going to remain thinner than the average population and this is nothing new.”
“I also do agree with you on the fact that tea tastes better in thinner cups than in thick.”
“Nate's pick: Ichiro over Hampton by a margin thinner than Denver air”
“When that long-looked-for moment comes at last, the explorer trusts himself to the rope – a flimsy twist of palm fibre, which becomes visibly thinner from the strain – and goes down as if into a mine.”
“The Asia Society has some very good stuff on glacial melting in the Himalayas on their website, under the title "On thinner Ice" and a useful general report on Asian water security that's online as a PDF.”
“The report, which cites people familiar with the matter, seems to confirm many of the rumors that have been circulating about the tablet: it is described as thinner and lighter, will sport at least one camera for video conferencing and will have better graphics and more memory.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘thinner’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
Words from a 1998 'A Civil Action' film.
Looking for tweets for thinner.