from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An axlike tool with a curved blade at right angles to the handle, used for shaping wood.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of adze.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A carpenter's or cooper's tool, formed with a thin arching blade set at right angles to the handle. It is used for chipping or slicing away the surface of wood.
- transitive v. To cut with an adz.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To chip or shape with an adz: as, to adz logs or timber.
- n. A cutting-tool somewhat like an ax, but having the blade placed at right angles to the handle and formed to a curve nearly corresponding to its sweep through the air when in use.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an edge tool used to cut and shape wood
Conversely, frustrated crossword solvers encounter plenty of uncommon three-letter words, such as adz, auk and lea.
Once, this was a stout ship, with oak futtocks and floor timbers, fastened with iron nails, built with saw and adz and the calloused hands of shipwrights now long dead.
March 30, 2010 at 8:36 am what adz? i hav nevr seen any adz whutsoevr on this site. not on hte sidz or in the vidz. get adblock and adblock plus if u uze firefoxx. never see any adz innywheres ever agin! srsly.
April 28, 2010 at 11:37 am ai fink da adz b berri ennoyin 2.
But on this you are off -- where is Hillary's "unity" and can you imagine the adz Grampy will run against Obama with her on the ticket?
The accompanying labels says "One of the principal uses of the adz was in hollowing out dug-out canoes."
August 5, 2009 at 2:44 am yes, yes, yes… wif dat adn ‘ad blocker plus’, no pops no adz!
I b teh noein dat ICHC iz sported bai da adz, butt ! koodnt da Cheeziz B uh liddul moar pikkee bowt wich adz dey gitz teh revunoo frum?
Now, to be fair, I can't specifically think of a moment where I wished I had a large metal bar with a pick and an adz on one end, but I'm convinced that that's just because I never knew it was an option.
Just like the regular newtwork statioons, who sell for adz.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.