from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two movable flaps on the wings of an airplane that can be used to control the plane's rolling and banking movements.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. hinged part on trailing edge of an airplane wing. Used to control lateral turns.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A half gable, as at the end of a penthouse or of the aisle of a church.
- n. A small plane or surface capable of being manipulated by the pilot of a flying machine to control lateral balance; a hinged wing tip; a lateral stabilizing or balancing plane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as ailette.
- n. In architecture, that piece of the end wall, as of nave or transept, which covers the end of the aisle-roof. It resembles a wing of the main or central structure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an airfoil that controls lateral motion
French, diminutive of aile, wing, from Old French, from Latin āla.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French “little wing” (Wiktionary)