from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Either of two movable flaps on the wings of an airplane that can be used to control the plane's rolling and banking movements.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. hinged part on trailing edge of an airplane wing. Used to control lateral turns.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A half gable, as at the end of a penthouse or of the aisle of a church.
- n. A small plane or surface capable of being manipulated by the pilot of a flying machine to control lateral balance; a hinged wing tip; a lateral stabilizing or balancing plane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as ailette.
- n. In architecture, that piece of the end wall, as of nave or transept, which covers the end of the aisle-roof. It resembles a wing of the main or central structure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an airfoil that controls lateral motion
* Besides twice flying the X-1B as part of the reaction-control research, Armstrong sought a possible fix to a problem known as aileron “buzz.”
That caused the -- with the drag and the hole in the aileron, that is what caused the uncontrolled roll.
I read him checklists, learning words like "aileron," "magnetos," and "pitot" that no one else in my first-grade class knew.
I've removed 'aileron' because it is not italicised & has an obvious pronunciation; similarly with menagerie.
Once used to control the degree of lift and movement on an aircraft, this desk reflects the sleek and refined design of the efficient aileron and the traditional mechanical focus of work desks.
When the trapped fluid is pumped through the cylinder, or “actuator,” it pushes the piston, which pushes a metal rod, which moves the heavy object, such as a rotor blade or aileron.
Though missing part of one aileron, the ever-aggressive Kanno bent his throttle toward the Americans.
I hit my head on the tail of the plane and the parachute hung up momentarily on the aileron.
The passengers could see the heavily deflected aileron necessary to maintain control.
They don't really have a choice Born helpless, nude and unable to provide for himself, Lore Sjöberg eventually overcame these handicaps to become an alien, an aileron and an ailurophile.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.