from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for measuring the magnitude and direction of a magnetic field.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument used to measure the intensity and direction of a magnetic field, especially at points on the Earth's surface.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for measuring the intensity of magnetic forces; also, less frequently, an instrument for determining any of the terrestrial magnetic elements, as the dip and declination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument used to measure magnetic forces or the strength of a magnetic field, especially one used to measure the intensity of the earth's magnetic force at any place.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a meter to compare strengths of magnetic fields
Sorry, no etymologies found.